[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Release v1.4?
Re: Release v1.4?
Sun, 19 Jun 2022 14:16:47 -0400
On Fri, Jun 17, 2022, at 11:37 AM, Brian Cully via Development of GNU Guix and
the GNU System distribution. wrote:
> Ludovic Courtès <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
>> So plain ‘emacs’ package doesn’t work on Wayland? That sounds
>> like a
>> recipe for a poor user experience, no?
> The mainline Emacs is not Wayland-native, but it (along with just
> about everything else) will run fine under XWayland. It's how I've
> been running it for some time now. The user experience is almost
> indistinguishable from either the ‘pgtk’ branch or the mainline,
> X-only branch.
I'm on a foreign distro, but FWIW I've been using plain Emacs 27 with the KDE
Plasma Wayland session on HiDPI displays for over a year, and I have no
complaints. In fact, I didn't even realize Emacs wasn't Wayland-native until
this thread. I took a look just now at the 'emacs-next-pgtk' package in Guix:
it does look a bit nicer in a side-by-side comparison, but it's subtle. Either
way, mostly Emacs just looks like Emacs. So I don't think Emacs should be a
blocker for enabling Wayland by default.
Re: Release v1.4?, Josselin Poiret, 2022/06/10
- Re: Merging ‘staging’?, (continued)
- Re: Release v1.4?, Ludovic Courtès, 2022/06/15
- Re: Release v1.4?, Gábor Boskovits, 2022/06/15
- Re: Release v1.4?, Josselin Poiret, 2022/06/16
- Re: Release v1.4?, Ludovic Courtès, 2022/06/17
- Re: Release v1.4?, Josselin Poiret, 2022/06/17
- Re: Release v1.4?, Brian Cully, 2022/06/17
- Further thoughts on Xorg "vs" Wayland etc -- was: Re: Release v1.4?, bokr, 2022/06/18
- Re: Release v1.4?,
Philip McGrath <=
- Re: Release v1.4?, Ludovic Courtès, 2022/06/22
- Re: Release v1.4?, Efraim Flashner, 2022/06/28