guix-devel

Re: Why do Emacs packages still pull emacs-transient?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Why do Emacs packages still pull emacs-transient?
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 14:41:06 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, 03 Jul 2022 at 19:10, "Jorge P. de Morais Neto" <jorge+list@disr.it>
wrote:

> So, why do many Emacs packages still pull emacs-transient, when Guix has
> Emacs version 28.1, which has Transient built-in?  This redundancy
> wastes (a little bit of) bandwidth, install time and disk space, and,
> worse, causes errors.

Well, “many Emacs packages” is not just 16 ones. ;-)

$ ag --scheme emacs-transient -c
emacs-xyz.scm:19

(3 matches are from the definition of emacs-transient.)

I guess these Emacs packages are still using the package emacs-transient
because they have not been updated yet, or maybe it is still a
requirement from upstream.

Which are the Emacs packages you are using without an explicit mention
to emacs-transient?

Cheers,
simon