guix-devel

Re: Could Guix System eventually run on top of HyperbolaBSD ? slightly o

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: Could Guix System eventually run on top of HyperbolaBSD ? slightly off topic
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 10:25:15 +0200

Hello,

Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:

> I would love for Guix to be a Multi Kernel package manager (I mean it
> works on the Hurd also, but I have never encountered a Hurd user in real
> life). My dream would be to port Guix to Plan 9 ;-)

I don't think Guix runs on the Hurd in the same way that Guix runs on
Linux: the (gnu system hurd) tells me that the daemon is started with
--disable-chroot, which actually disables all isolation mechanisms.
There would need to be a significant effort to port the isolation
mechanisms to the Hurd.

Seeing how the daemon is in general left alone since C++ is hard
compared to Scheme (and there's always the "but we could rewrite it in
Guile" excuse), combined with the difficulty of interfacing with
kernels, I'm not sure BSD support (or even Hurd support) will appear
anytime soon.

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret