guix-devel

Re: Strategy for Zig packages

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Strategy for Zig packages
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 21:23:14 +0200

On 26-07-2022 20:48, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
4. Convince Zig maintainers to perhaps maybe not join the ranks of Rust
et al. and produce reusable shared libraries?

I'd like to clarify that Rust supports shared libraries (*) just fine, it's Cargo that insists on source code.

Looking at <https://gist.github.com/matu3ba/92e5df1166c51b3725dbd04f7ff1cb4e>, it might be similar with Zig, as that page is about 'the Zig caching system' and mentions Zir code, ABIs and objects.

(*) or, at least, rustc's version of static libraries, I haven't tested out shared libraries yet except for the first failed attempt; there might be problems with monomorphisation and macros or somehing. Some libraries, e.g. recent versions of rust-nom, also are written in such a way that appears to require LTO optimisation to be efficient, which appears to be non-trivial to be compatible with shared libraries without extra disk space.

Greetings,
Maxime.