guix-devel

Re: Why is greetd greeter user in so many groups?

From: muradm
Subject: Re: Why is greetd greeter user in so many groups?
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 13:04:26 +0300

Hi,

Here you are: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=56971

I added explanations and proposed solution there as well.

Thanks in advance,
muradm

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

Hi,

muradm <mail@muradm.net> skribis:

This change broke greetd on my side as I am using it with gtkgreet.

Could you open an issue so we keep track of this?

While greetd is running as root, specific greeter started by it is
not.

This many groups was required to:
- make it able starting graphical greeters with user greeter
- access to seatd's socket file

That sounds surprising to me. If other distros don’t do that, there
must be something we’re missing?

Anyway, let’s see how to move forward.

Thanks,
Ludo’.