guix-devel

Re: 04/04: gnu: Add fwupd.

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: 04/04: gnu: Add fwupd.
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 09:03:48 +0200

On 01-09-2022 08:27, Reza Housseini wrote:
> No, unless you're using a custom update protocol that fwupd does not
> already support.

The user guide[2] likewise states:
> The OEM vendor is in full control over what models are supported and is
> the only entity that can add support for new hardware.

The vendor agreement[3] further grants no freedom safe for the second –
the freedom to make unmodified copies.

Cheers

[1] https://fwupd.org/lvfs/docs/vendors
[2] https://fwupd.org/lvfs/docs/users
[3] https://fwupd.org/lvfs/docs/agreement

Isn't fwupd a package manager which could technically be replaced by guix?

IIUC, fwupd not only receives firmware updates, it also sends the firmware to the device (installing it). While Guix supports installing software, I don't think it supports installing firmware in specific (at least, not yet). And to extend Guix with support for installing firmware, I expect it would use a tool like fwupd to actually send the updated firmware to the hardware.

Greetings,
Maxime.