guix-devel

Re: Mes Bootstrapping demonstration

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Mes Bootstrapping demonstration
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 07:03:04 +0200

Aret San writes:

Hello Aret/John,

> I heard that from GNU Mes 0.24 it's capable of being bootstrapped with
> M2-Planet.

Yes, see the core-updates branch.

> But when I was trying to do that it ended up in some errors
> in scm files `something related to (export)`.

Sounds like a Nyacc problem.  You're missing GUILE_LOAD_PATH set to
nyacc/modules, or you don't have nyacc-1.00.2.

> I also tried this in a busybox docker image where there's no gcc (not
> even guile), The M2-Planet and mescc-tools compiles fine but GNU Mes
> crashed the container in `sh configure.sh`.

That could be, I haven't tried such tings.

> I was wondering if a step-by-step bootstrap instruction can be written
> for a barebone system like a busybox container.

If you don't want to use Guix, you may have a look at the live bootstrap
project

   https://github.com/fosslinux/live-bootstrap

Greetings,
Janneke