guix-devel

Re: Translation: Would regional translation fall back to primary languag

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Translation: Would regional translation fall back to primary language?
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 13:53:32 +0200

Hello Luis/sirgazil.  Translation help sounds great.

That said, I believe that, because others will add to the translation,
that it would be best if you Downloaded the Spain Spanish file from
Weblate and then uploaded that PO file as the first translation in
Colombian Spanish.  Then change it from that base.

Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> writes:
> So, assuming an incomplete es-CO translation catalog already exists,
> would the translation system (gettext?) retrieve missing translations
> from the catalog corresponding to the primary language (es) or would
> it retrieve the source string in English?

I just tested adding a dummy de_CH.po translation file to Guix and yes,
it falls back to de translations if the msgstr in de_CH is empty, even
without changing the LANGUAGE environment variable and only setting
LC_ALL=de_CH.utf8.

But still, from an organizational view, I suggest not doing a partial
translation.  I don’t know though.

Regards,
Florian