guix-devel

Re: substitute derivation: also substitute grafts?

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: substitute derivation: also substitute grafts?
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 18:26:48 +0200

Hi everyone,

Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> writes:
> Fallbacks might be necessary (not every store item is constructed from a
> package), but it all sounds doable and efficient.  Also the union could
> needs to be modified to ignore the .graft-offsets of the union'ed things.

If I understand the whole thing properly, the daemon already scans for
references and could register their location in the database, avoiding
the need for a potentially brittle in-store format as you highlighted,
although that would require a non-trivial change to both the daemon and
the database format.

In any case, I don't think it's necessary to treat packages in a special
way: any derivation can hold derivations and thus be grafted.

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret