guix-devel

Re: substitute derivation: also substitute grafts?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: substitute derivation: also substitute grafts?
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 19:29:03 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> The premise was that computing a graft is usually quicker than
> transferring it, which is why they have #:substitutable? #f.
>
> I don’t think it would be reasonable to have a switch to toggle
> #:substitutable? because that would make .drv depend on external
> factors.

If substitutable was merely a hint that a daemon could be free to ignore
it wouldn’t be any worse than downloading a substitute vs building
something locally.

> However, when copying things around, you can still do: ‘guix copy
> /gnu/store/…-xyz’ and that’ll work fine, whether or not it’s a graft.
> But maybe that’s not a satisfying answer for your situation?

“guix copy” only works over SSH, which requires more configuration
(sshd, key exchange, etc) and firewall exceptions.  The beauty of
derivation substitution is that it just works without any prior
configuration.

--
Ricardo