guix-devel

Re: Progress with automating testing of patches

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Progress with automating testing of patches
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 11:22:03 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> I wonder if it’s due to recent changes since I last looked, but I’m a
>>> bit confused by the numbers in this example:
>>>
>>>   https://qa.guix.gnu.org/issue/58186
>>>
>>> The numbers before/after patches don’t match and the lint warnings (nice
>>> addition!) appear to unrelated to the patch at hand.
>>>
>>> Any idea what’s going on?
>>
>> I've had an initial look. One important clue is that the basis of the
>> comparison [1] differs between data.qa.guix.gnu.org and
>> data.guix.gnu.org [2]. The package number differs for example.
>>
>> 1:
>> https://data.qa.guix.gnu.org/revision/e6777cfa5eb5e9c36eaf7810b42cac0fbcaa367c
>> 2:
>> https://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/e6777cfa5eb5e9c36eaf7810b42cac0fbcaa367c
>>
>> That shouldn't happen, one revision of Guix should have the same number
>> of packages regardless of what server looked at it. This being wrong
>> explains the bad data on qa.guix.gnu.org, since the comparison being
>> done by data.qa.guix.gnu.org is based on bad data.
>
> OK, I see.
>
> BTW, why do we have both data.qa.guix and data.guix?  These are both
> instances of the same service, right?

Yep, but the configuration is different.

data.guix.gnu.org just tracks the master branch, and doesn't delete any
data.

data.qa.guix.gnu.org tracks all branches in the main Guix repository,
plus branches for issues, and regularly deletes revisions where they're
either old or the branch no longer exists.

There's nothing technically preventing just using one instance for both
purposes, it's just operationally I thought it would be easier to split
the concerns across two instances.