guix-devel

Re: What 'sh' should 'system' use?

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: What 'sh' should 'system' use?
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 10:23:02 +0200

Am Sonntag, dem 16.10.2022 um 03:56 -0400 schrieb Philip McGrath:
> I don't think I understand this. Does it mean that, in the following,
> I am running a Bash that wouldn't have security bugs fixed? If so,
> that seems quite bad!
You would, but note that in order to exploit this, you would have to
exploit glibc – which can be grafted and could also be built against a
fixed bash.  That is, we'd first have to define bash-static-fixed and
then glibc-fixed whose bash-static input is replaced with bash-static-
fixed.  Note that this makes sense for a single package, but obviously
doesn't scale well.

Cheers