guix-devel

Re: Add earlyoom service to %desktop-services?

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Add earlyoom service to %desktop-services?
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 08:22:09 -0400

Hi,

jbranso@dismail.de writes:

> October 17, 2022 7:24 AM, "Pkill9" <pkill9@runbox.com> wrote:
>
>> I think that the earlyoom service is a necessity for a Guix system
>> desktop.
>>
>> For those who don't know what it does, EarlyOOM (early out-of-memory)
>> is a daemon that kills applications when the amount of memory available
>> falls below a certain percentage of the maximum, by default 10%. There
>> is already an OOM killer in the kernel, but it's too lax and
>> applications that consume too much memory can cause the system to
>> freeze.
>>
>> I've used this for a while and many times it has kicked in and works
>> well for my laptop. I think adding it to the default desktop services
>> will give Guix System on desktop greater stability, which would
>> encourage adoption of Guix System on the desktop
>>
>> What do you, reader, think?
>
> +1

+1, but as I mentioned in #47717, I think we'd want to have D-Bus
notifications sent by earlyoom to the desktop, so that a user knows
what's going on (especially since the earlyoom logs suck, it's not even
time stamped).

> Applications to kill: icecat, chromium, firefox, chromium, blender,
>  etc.
>
> I would recommend that we do include "firefox" and "chromium" as
> applications that we would kill.  I use nongnu for firefox, and
> I bet there are others that use stock chromium or things like it.

It's already configurable; I don't think Guix should go out of its way
to add non-free items to its default earlyoom configuration.

--
Thanks,
Maxim