guix-devel

Re: How long does it take to run the full rustc bootstrap chain?

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: How long does it take to run the full rustc bootstrap chain?
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 09:48:50 -0400

Hi,

Félix Baylac Jacqué <felix@alternativebit.fr> writes:

> Hey Guix,
>
> I'd be curious to know how long it takes to run the full rustc bootstrap
> chain on the Guix build farm. I'm sadly not sure how to approach this
> problem.
>
> Is there a way to extract this information from Cuirass or the Guix data
> service?
>
> Félix

It used to be 16 hours on a Ryzen 3900x machine, then it got halved to 8
hours with the work to bootstrap from 1.39, and recently we're
bootstrapping from 1.54, so it must have been greatly reduced again.

Looking at (gnu packages rust), the mrustc-based bootstrap starts with
1.54.0.  This one is expensive, probably around 1 h 30 or more on a
Ryzen 3900x CPU (24 logical CPUs).

The intermediate builds are typically around 15-20 minutes on that
machines, with the last one taking a bit more (30 minutes), so the
current bootstrap on such a machine should take about:

1.54.0: 1h30m
1.55.0 - 1.60.0: 6 X 20 min = 1h20m
1.60.0: final build with tests and extra tools: 30 min

The total should be around 3 h 20 on a fast modern x86_64 machine.  I
suppose the time for berlin to build it takes about this.

HTH!

--
Thanks,
Maxim