guix-devel

Re: guix git authenticate throws hard

From: jgart
Subject: Re: guix git authenticate throws hard
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 19:07:40 -0500

On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 09:07:57 +0200 Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:
> It says fingerprint, so it's fingerprint. Using email or name would not be as
> secure.
>
> Le 26 octobre 2022 07:35:20 GMT+02:00, jgart <jgart@dismail.de> a écrit :
> >On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 07:21:35 +0200 Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu>
> >wrote:
> >> From the manual: "signer is the OpenPGP fingerprint of public key used to
> >> sign commit.", but we should still catch this error :)
> >
> >Is it possible to give the email instead of the fingerprint?
> >
> >Deduce the fingerprint from the email?

Julien and/or anyone else,

What do you think if we have a CLI flag for git authenticate that would
allow us to do this to authenticate the last 5 commits against the
3B1D7F19E36BB60C0F5B2CA9A52AA2B477B6DD35 fingerprint, for example:

guix git authenticate 3B1D7F19E36BB60C0F5B2CA9A52AA2B477B6DD35 -5

I've run into situations where I can't remember if I signed a commit or not.

IWBC if I could just say authenticate the last commits against my
fingerprint instead of going one by one. If this already exists and is
not documented then we should definitely document that usage with an
example to let others know.

all best,

jgart