guix-devel

Re: GDB is Unable to find libthread_db

From: Attila Lendvai
Subject: Re: GDB is Unable to find libthread_db
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2022 18:03:09 +0000

thanks for looking into it Ludo!

looking again at the error message, it actually means that dbus was unable to
start the daemon (but the daemon's error output was swallowed by the
architecture).

$
/gnu/store/6i4gi0sfbssv9g6yd28jgnb18219zk7h-gpaste-42.1/libexec/gpaste/gpaste-daemon

(gpaste-daemon:14604): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 12:44:11.196:
g_settings_schema_source_lookup: assertion 'source != NULL' failed
Segmentation fault

it was enough of a hint for me to fix gpaste:

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/59863

looking at the code, i have no idea why/how it was not crashing for you.

as for the GDB issue:

> $ guix shell gdb guile guile:debug -- gdb --args guile

surprisingly enough, the above fails for me:

$ guix shell gdb guile guile:debug -- gdb --args guile
GNU gdb (GDB) 12.1
[...]
Reading symbols from guile...
(No debugging symbols found in guile)
(gdb) r
Starting program: /gnu/store/dyw73lrvdnffwsp5idrcznyn0k0fzywz-profile/bin/guile
warning: File
"/gnu/store/qlmpcy5zi84m6dikq3fnx5dz38qpczlc-guile-3.0.8/lib/libguile-3.0.so.1.5.0-gdb.scm"
 auto-loading has been declined by your `auto-load safe-path' set to
"$debugdir:$datadir/auto-load".
To enable execution of this file add
[...]
warning: Unable to find libthread_db matching inferior's thread library, thread
debugging will not be available.

maybe you have something installed in your profile that i don't? it's not a
roadblock anymore, though.

> One situation where it doesn’t work is if the process being debugged is
> in a namespace different from that of GDB, but that doesn’t seem to be
> what you did, so I’m not sure.

i don't even know how to do that, so hopefully i'm not doing that. :)

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39