guix-devel

Re: Proof of Concept: Import Emacs' use-packaged packages into Guix' man

From: Mekeor Melire
Subject: Re: Proof of Concept: Import Emacs' use-packaged packages into Guix' manifest.scm
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 09:45:40 +0000

On 2022-12-18 09:11, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:

> Am Sonntag, dem 18.12.2022 um 01:54 +0000 schrieb Mekeor Melire:

I'm neither the author, nor the user of guix home import, however I think it could be a good place for such a functionality, but I would suggest to maintain this helper functions for a while in a personal channel, mature it and revisit this question later.

Good idea. But separating this into a personal channel could also lead to the feature being forgotten.

To make a solution more robust and complete, you can take a look at straight.el and how it redefines use-package-ensure-function and do something similiar to generate a list of packages for guix. Another detail is that use-package accepts a symbol value for :ensure and you can write something like:

;; (setq use-package-always-ensure t) ; as an alternative to :ensure t
(use-package vertico
  :ensure t
  ...)

(use-package vertico-directory
  :ensure vertico
  ...)

True! The parser should consider the :ensure keyword.

This way you won't need a concept of "blocked" packages.

It'd still be good to have such a concept in order to block packages that won't be used on Guix-driven system. For example:

#+begin_src elisp
(when (this-is-not-a-guix-driven-system)
 (use-package some-package-that-is-not-packaged-for-guix))

;; or equivalently

(use-package some-package-that-is-not-packaged-for-guix
 :when (this-is-not-a-guix-driven-system))
#+end_src

One more idea: make a function which accepts file-like/origin object instead of string and generates a package with propagated-dependencies based on the content of source code provided as an argument.

You mean something like this?:

#+begin_src scheme
(define-public my-emacs
 (emacs-from-init
   :custom-emacs-package emacs-with-athena-instead-of-gtk
   :init "/home/user/.emacs.d/init.el"))
#+end_src

By the way, this won't be a "pure" package. When using =emacsWithPackagesFromUsePackage= feature from nix-community's emacs-overlay, I needed to pass an --impure flag.

Personally, with my emacs config I do the things vice versa: I have elisp code in scheme files with a list of explicit dependencies:

https://git.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde/tree/b57387f2/src/rde/features/emacs-xyz.scm#L946

Interesting!