guix-devel

Re: Some team related thoughts and questions...

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: Some team related thoughts and questions...
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 18:14:03 +0100

Hi Vagrant,

On Tue, 03 Jan 2023 at 22:11, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:

> Perhaps a description would for the team(s) would help a bit here.  I
> see embedded as dealing with bootloaders or firmware commonly used on
> embedded systems, and perhaps cross-compilers?

Well, currently the ’team’ record contains the description field.  So it
can be expanded if it helps.

> I wonder if the team.scm script could also have a few regexps in it for
> the patch description. For example, "deterministic" or "reproducible"
> might be a useful search term for my recently proposed Reproducible
> Builds team, which otherwise would only be interested in a small pool of
> reproducible builds tooling packages, but reproducible builds issues
> actually could be relevent for all packages in guix.

I guess something like,

    ./etc/teams.scm list-teams | recsel -q deterministic

should list the teams where ’deterministic’ appears.  It is far from
being perfect but it allows minimal queries.

> Lastly, I use the name "Vagrant Cascadian" with my contributions to
> guix, but I may use a different email address depending on the nature of
> the contribution (e.g. reproducible builds). I am not sure what would
> happen if I added "Vagrant Cascadian" twice, with two different email
> addresses. Does it handle that reasonably?

You would like to have an email address different depending on the
team, right?

Currently, a person (record <person>) has one name (string) and one
email (string) and then this person is part of one more teams (list).

Well, it is not implemented but the macro ’define-member’ could be
tweaked to associate one email to one team for a person, I guess.

Cheers,
simon