guix-devel

Re: 04/08: gnu: QEMU: Unbundle iPXE.

From: Vincent Legoll
Subject: Re: 04/08: gnu: QEMU: Unbundle iPXE.
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 21:40:12 +0100

On Sat, Jan 7, 2023 at 9:24 PM Marius Bakke <marius@gnu.org> wrote:
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> > grub <- qemu-minimal <- ipxe-qemu <- ipxe <- syslinux
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
> >
> > with syslinux that only supports x86_64-linux and i686-linux.
> >
> > I'm not sure how to break that path. It looks like qemu-minimal is
> > required by grub for test purposes. Maybe we could restrict that
> > dependency and the tests to x86_64-linux and i686-linux?
>
> I don't know what iPXE uses syslinux for (CC Vincent); it appears to
> build fine without it.  I made the dependency conditional on
> architecture in d15972194aaef17fd1f7fd713d235c70794c9d4f, that way QEMU
> should still work on aarch64.

I don't know for sure, but searching a bit, I've found 2 references to
syslinux :

    You will need to have at least the following packages installed in
order to build iPXE:
    [...]
    - syslinux (for isolinux, needed only for building .iso images)
    [...]

See page : https://ipxe.org/download?s[]=syslinux

And :

    To be able to boot memtest, there are a couple requirements:

    [...]
    The memdisk kernel from the syslinux library
    [...]

See page : https://ipxe.org/appnote/memtest?s[]=syslinux

So maybe add a comment somewhere explaining that those 2 things
won't work on any arch != x86_*

Maybe just add that to the commitmsg...

Regards

--