guix-devel

Re: IDEA: Give Our Generations a Name

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: IDEA: Give Our Generations a Name
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 19:31:20 +0100

Am Dienstag, dem 17.01.2023 um 01:52 +0000 schrieb Csepp:

> "jgart" <jgart@dismail.de> writes:
>
> > Hi Guixers,
> >
> > What do you think if we would be able to give past generations a
> > name?
> >
> > I'm thinking of the way you can do the following with git:
> >
> > git stash -m "My description of this important stash."
> >
> > I think this would help differentiate slight differences that would
> > be hard to tell what the state of that generation was by just
> > looking at the differences of profile package content.
> >
> > to bloat? or not to bloat? that is the question
>
> Since generations are just symlinks to profiles in the store and a
> profile can be in multiple generations, this would require wrapping
> the profile with some additional metadata.  I guess it's technically
> as simple as adding a "dummy" package that just contains the name in
> a file in output/etc/generation-name.txt or something, that would get
> unioned into the profile, and then it's a simple matter of outputting
> that info in --list-generations.
> Right?
I actually have a better idea.  Note how each generation has the name
${common-identifier}-$generation-link.  You could thus simply store a
tag by using ${common-identifier}-$tag and simply pointing that at the
right link.  Downside is, that you're limited to the "standard"
alphanumeric + dash character set, plus the first character shouldn't
be a number, but I'd say this is good enough for most practical
purposes.

Cheers