guix-devel

Getting tree-sitter grammars in Guix

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Getting tree-sitter grammars in Guix
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 16:38:39 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 10 Jan 2023 at 18:29, Demis Balbach <db@minikn.xyz> wrote:

> Hello, I was wondering what the "correct" way would be to get grammars
> for the tree-sitter library available in Guix when using tree-sitter
> with Emacs 29+.

This raises a question about the bootstrap.

>From my understanding, the inputs of Tree-sitter is the file
’grammar.js’ and then using Node.js, it generates C files.  It is often
these C files which are considered as the Tree-sitter parser.

Many Tree-sitter parsers are available [1].  For example, Bash [2].  The
grammar is described by ’grammar.js’ [3] and then using it, the file
’src/parser.c’ [4] is generated (note the size 3.46MB!).  Then, using
this file ’src/parser.c’ is generated a library which is called by the
editor tool (say Emacs tree-sitter [5]).

I am not aware if someone has tried to rebuild using Guix only from the
grammar.js to a working tree-sitter editing experience.

Well, considering the state of Node.js and Guix, it appears to me
difficult to debootstrap.   And maybe, we should accept a large
unverified seed for Tree-sitter.  Well, I do not know.

What people think?  What do we do with Tree-sitter?

1: <https://tree-sitter.github.io/tree-sitter/>
2: <https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter-bash>
3: <https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter-bash/blob/master/grammar.js>
4: <https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter-bash/blob/master/src/parser.c>