guix-devel

valgrind

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: valgrind
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 12:01:35 +0100

Hello,

I am a bit confused about the valgrind situation. Currently there are three
packages:
(define-public valgrind
  (package
    (name "valgrind")
    (version "3.17.0")
    (properties '((hidden? . #t)))))

(define-public valgrind/interactive
  (package/inherit
   valgrind
   (version "3.17.0")

(define-public valgrind-3.20
  (package
    (inherit valgrind/interactive)
    (version "3.20.0")

I have the impression that my past problems with using valgrind have been
solved since the upgrade to 3.20.0, which is the one installed by
"guix package -i valgrind".

On the other hand, the first package is the one used as input to other
packages.

Is version 3.17 really needed? Is the distinction between the hidden package
and the "interactive" package still important?

Andreas