guix-devel

Re: Using Guix inside a Guix container

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Using Guix inside a Guix container
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 10:49:48 +0100

James Thomas <jimjoe@gmx.net> writes:

> Makes sense to me, because the guix package definition was only updated
> with the new release (see 'guix edit guix'). Maybe you can try:

Indeed. That's at least an explanation, though I still don't see *why*
it is done this way. In fact, the role of the package "guix" isn't
really clear to me.\

>   guix shell -C guix --with-version=guix=VERSION -- guix describe
>
> Or --with-commit etc.

That's an interesting idea! I could also define my own package (in a
file) called "guix-current" or something like that, which inherits from
"guix" and updates the commit.

Jim <jimplyl@outlook.com> writes:

> Or even:
>
>   guix shell -C -p /var/guix/profiles/per-user/.../current-guix -- guix
> describe

That would create a container from the Guix profile. Not sure if this
works at all, but it's very probably not what I want because I have to
add other packages to my container, to get some real work done :-)

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions!

Cheers,
  Konrad