guix-devel

Re: Openjdk (was: Merging core-updates?)

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Openjdk (was: Merging core-updates?)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 20:19:08 +0100

Am Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 07:51:56PM +0100 schrieb Andreas Enge:
> Actually the patch has already been applied to openjdk13, if I am not
> mistaken. So I do not understand how the source could be built in master
> then, while the exact same code (?!) fails on core-updates...

Well, there is a somewhat hidden difference.
core-updates introduces
                        "openjdk-10-hotspot-pointer-comparison.patch"
                        "openjdk-10-hotspot-stack-size.patch"
to openjdk10.

openjdk11 is a package of its own without the patch.

openjdk12 uses the newly defined make-openjdk to start from openjdk11,
overwriting the source together with openjdk-10-hotspot-stack-size.patch
in core-updates, and without the patch in master. (And it uses an obscure
tarball instead of a git checkout - why?)

openjdk13 has the same code in core-updates and master:
(define-public openjdk13
  (make-openjdk openjdk12 "13.0.13"
                "0pxf4dlig61k0pg7amg4mi919hzam7nzwckry01avgq1wj8ambji"))
So in core-updates it inherits the patch from openjdk12, in master
it does not (I think). And then I suppose it passes the patch on to all
its descendants.

The following seems to work and create source for openjdk13 and later:
(define-public openjdk13
  (make-openjdk openjdk12 "13.0.13"
                "0pxf4dlig61k0pg7amg4mi919hzam7nzwckry01avgq1wj8ambji"
  (source (origin
            (inherit (package-source base))
            (patches '())))))

Okay to push if I manage to build current openjdk with it?

Is it necessary to keep all these version of openjdk and to bootstrap
version n with version n-1?

Andreas