guix-devel

progress report on updating the Hurd packages

From: zamfofex
Subject: progress report on updating the Hurd packages
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 07:59:56 -0300 (BRT)

Hello, everyone! I just wanted to be able to report my progress with updating
the Hurd packages.

I have been able to get past my previous issues with building GMP, I think, but
it seems that the glibc in Guix is still too outdated for the whole endeavor to
succeed.

I could either update the glibc package again or simply apply a patch to it
(since the change needed seems to be small enough), but that would take quite a
while waiting for things to build, and I’m not sure I’m up for it at the moment.

I plan to pick this effort back up again at some point, but at the moment I’m a
bit tired of having to wait for packages to build for multiple days. But if
anyone wants to pick up where I left off, I will upload a ‘git diff’ with my
current changes. (Applicable to ‘core-updates’.)

Here is some more insight based on my conversations on #hurd:

- https://logs.guix.gnu.org/hurd/2023-02-20.log
- https://logs.guix.gnu.org/hurd/2023-02-21.log

If anyone wants to take this work meanwhile, please do let me know somehow so
that we don’t end up duplicating effort!

Thanks for everyone’s amazing work on the Hurd and on Guix!