guix-devel

Re: Question on the process of packge withdrawal

From: bokr
Subject: Re: Question on the process of packge withdrawal
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 17:26:31 +0100

Hi,

On +2023-02-28 11:30:21 +0100, Simon Tournier wrote:

> I proposed to remove the package because it was broken and no one was
> willing to fix it.  What is the point to keep broken packages?

What is the purpose of a junk-yard for broken cars?

I think there is some use :) I kept an old VW going many decades
by more than once in my youth going with tools to a junk yard
where the deal was:
      Find what you need in some wreck, detach it with your own tools,
      bring it to the office, and negotiate a price.
      (the office guy could usually point you to the likely wrecks
      if you described what you needed, and would even offer to rent you
      some tools and help, all negotiable :)

IMO, it's a matter of storing the junk where it will not be a toxic liability
and nuisance, yet easily discovered by someone looking for "parts."

Software "parts" are a little different, but the R&R (remove & replace)
aspect seems similar ;-)

And it should be easy to keep an inventory of junk-yard contents by bug numbers.
Maybe somone would enjoy curating "junk" :)

Disclaimer: I am a terrible pack-rat ;/
(with no time to be junk curator, though I appreciate their work, along with
any{one,thing} helping me find what I want (rather than the other way around) :)

[...]
--
Regards,
Bengt Richter