guix-devel

Interest in Participating for GSoC '23

From: Sarthak Shah
Subject: Interest in Participating for GSoC '23
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 06:08:49 +0530

Hi everyone,

Hello! I'm interested in contributing to the GNU Guix project through the Google Summer of Code program.
My programming expertise mainly lies with Scheme, Common Lisp, Clojure and C/C++, but I can also write code in other languages when needed.
Additionally, I have some experience as a system administrator of my university's HPC system.
I am also the president of my college's equivalent of a GNU/Linux advocacy group, through which I have organized and facilitated GNU/Linux installation workshops to introduce my classmates and juniors to free software.

I would love to work on a project utilizing GNU Guile if possible.
Of the projects listed on the website, I found the following interesting:
Continued Rewrite of the Build Daemon in Guile (Mentors mentioned: Ludovic (+ David, +...?))
 (If I understand correctly, this will be a continuation of reepca's work in 2017)
Guile-based build tool (Mentors mentioned: Pjotr Prins and other Guix members)
Guix Data Service revision processing instrumentation and performance (Mentors mentioned: Christopher Baines & Gábor Boskovits)
I understand that the mentors listed here may not necessarily be free to mentor this year, however I would really appreciate getting to work on any of these projects.

Apart from the listed projects, I'm also interested in having parameterized packages in Guix.
Unlike most package managers, Guix is source-based and I believe that parametrized packages would be a fine way to use that to Guix's advantage.

It's tradition for potential GSoC participants to help resolve issues before applying in preparation for the actual task, so I would appreciate suggestions on problems I could help with.
Additionally, a rough timeline of when I'd be expected to submit a draft proposal would be appreciated.

Happy Hacking!
Sarthak
IRC nick: cel7t