guix-devel

Re: Time travel accident

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Time travel accident
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2023 18:10:13 +0200

Hi Josselin and Julien,

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions!

Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz> writes:

> We have --without-tests=package already, see --help-transform for all
> available package transformations.  The one annoying thing is that
> disabling tests will change the derivation and you thus will not recover
> the same store item (it might be bit-for-bit equivalent, but its path
> will not be the same), preventing you from using substitutes either.

For my case, that sounds OK. There are no substitutes for that
three-year old commit any more, so I am building everything. And I don't
care about bit-for-bit equivalence, I just want to run Python 3.8.2.

> Though, I'm not sure it will help you here because openssl is built as
> part of the `guix time-machine`'s build process, which afaik cannot be
> transformed.

Ahhh... there's the bad news.

> By the way, we can also "fix the past" by using guix/quirks.scm.  Since

Oohhh... There's always one more surprise in Guix!

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

> Changing your system date should let it build.

Interesting idea! I tried, but it doesn't work: Guix itself complains
about a certificate failure if I set the clock three years back.

Maybe "guix time-machine" should have an option for setting the clock to
the commit timestamp just for the build process...

Cheers,
  Konrad.