guix-devel

Re: Running Tor Browser with guix shell

From: Brian Cully
Subject: Re: Running Tor Browser with guix shell
Date: Mon, 01 May 2023 14:10:42 -0400

Altadil <Altadil@protonmail.com> writes:

thanks to the blog post on FHS emulation, I’ve been able to run Tor Browser in Guix, so I figured I would help back a little, by sharing
this small improvement.
There are two new things in this guix shell command :
- replace gcc:lib (which does not exist anymore) with libgccjit
- add audio.

guix shell -CFN --preserve='^DISPLAY$' --preserve='^XAUTHORITY$' --expose=$XAUTHORITY \ --preserve='XDG_RUNTIME_DIR' --expose=/run/user/"$(id -u)"/pulse \ alsa-lib bash coreutils dbus-glib file grep gtk+ libcxx libgccjit pciutils pulseaudio sed \
-- ./tor-browser/Browser/start-tor-browser -v

Hopefully, this can spare someone all the trial and error. :)
Since this use case was first discussed on this list, I am writing here, but maybe there is a better place where to put this kind of
information ?
Anyway, thank you all for Guix !

It might be nice to have a section in the cookbook for things like this? Maybe something like “Containerizing services”, with an examples section for common stuff, and an explanation of why the flags are used and why the packages are required?

-bjc