guix-devel

Re: Discussion on Parameterized Packages

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: Discussion on Parameterized Packages
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 13:49:32 +0200

Hi,

On jeu., 11 mai 2023 at 20:38, Sarthak Shah <shahsarthakw@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://blog.lispy.tech/2023/05/parameterized-packages.html
>
> I would really appreciate feedback on
> (1) parameters you'd like to see in Guix
> (2) the user interface for searching/installing/packaging with
> parameters

Just a quick remark.  You are proposing something like:

 1  (define-public emacs
 2    (package
 3      (parameters (and
 4        (optional jit^ png^ alsa^)
 5        (one-of motif gtk^ x11!*)))
 6      (parameter-transforms
 7        ((x11!)
 8         (changes-to-be-made-to-the-package)))))

or other variants.  Well, I am a bit afraid by the maintenance of such
packages.  The combinatorial complexity will be exploding and it will be
harder to update such packages, IMHO.

Instead, I would go with something similar as ’package/inherit’.  For
instance, something like that:

(define-public emacs-params
  (package/parametrized emacs
    (parameters (and
                 (optional jit^ png^ alsa^)
                 (one-of motif gtk^ x11!*)))
    (parameter-transforms
     ((x11!)
      (changes-to-be-made-to-the-package)))))

Well, from my point of view, these parametrized packages could go to
specific modules (or channels).  And keeping them separate would avoid
nightmares about maintenance – it is already enough complex without
parameters. :-)

Cheers,
simon