guix-devel

tracking /etc/profile.d/*guix.sh in downstream distributions

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: tracking /etc/profile.d/*guix.sh in downstream distributions
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 15:10:53 -0700

Philip McGrath recently pointed out that the /etc/profile.d/guix.sh
snippet had not been updating in the Guix packaging for Debian:

  https://bugs.debian.org/1036304

(and as bonus complication, was also renamed to zzz-guix.sh)

The reason I never noticed before is because it is actually a manual
process, with this script embedded in the sys_create_init_profile()
function of etc/guix-install.sh ... and thus easy to miss when updating
packaging.

What would be the impact of separating the /etc/profile.d/zzz-guix.sh
into a separate file upstream? Would guix-install.sh need to be adjusted
to guix-install.sh.in so as to embed the contents of this file?

Alternately, maybe guix-install.sh could be updated to optionally output
or generate the zzz-guix.sh file either by passing commandline arguments
or some other conditional mechanism?

For the short term, I will try to update this manually, but would love
to see a longer term option for future releases!

I am somewhat hoping updating /etc/profile.d/zzz-guix.sh would also fix:

  https://bugs.debian.org/988260

live well,
  vagrant