guix-devel

Re: Transformations Shell Syntax

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Transformations Shell Syntax
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 16:28:50 +0200

Am Tue, May 23, 2023 at 02:12:02PM +0000 schrieb jgart:
> > I think your semantics ends up meaning "try to make sense of the version
> > field, and give me the package at this version".
> Aren't these the current semantics of guix package transformations though?
> I'm just proposing shell syntax for them.

Yes, indeed. So there already is shell syntax, it is just a bit unweildy
and verbose.

What disturbs me with your suggestion is that it reuses the same syntax
that is already used for a different purpose. So in a sense you do
"operator overloading", and the same command line then means different
things depending on whether the package version is already provided by
Guix or not.

Like Simon writes, let us be explicit.

Andreas