guix-devel

Re: Do substitutes download slowly for you? / Speeding up substitute del

From: Philip McGrath
Subject: Re: Do substitutes download slowly for you? / Speeding up substitute delivery/mirrors
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 18:03:28 -0400

Hi,

On Thu, May 25, 2023, at 5:04 PM, Felix Lechner wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
> On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 1:49 PM Philip McGrath <philip@philipmcgrath.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Here are results from Florida, US:
>>
>> 2023-05-25 16:28:07 (14.9 MB/s)
>> 2023-05-25 16:28:53 (52.9 MB/s)
>> 2023-05-25 16:29:37 (10.5 MB/s)
>
> Wow, those are the best Guix speeds I have seen yet, perhaps aside
> from folks connected to DFN. [1] Would you please share some details
> about your ISP? From a peering perspective, I think the most
> interesting part is your ASN. [2] Thanks!

This was on a residential Comcast connection which seems to be AS7922. I tried
to avoid any local slowdowns by doing this with a wired connection at a time
when there was little other activity on the machine or the LAN and downloading
to a tmpfs.

Anecdotally, the speeds for servers *other* than bordeaux-us-east-mirror were
faster in this trial than feels typical here. The results I reported at
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2022-07/msg00320.html (e.g.
8.17MB/s for bordeaux.guix.gnu.org) might be more usual. Subjectively, my
impression of the non-mirrored substitute servers is that often the speeds is
ok, but when they are slow it is very, very slow.

Philip