guix-devel

Re: 02/03: gnu: openblas: Update architectures we provide substitutes fo

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: 02/03: gnu: openblas: Update architectures we provide substitutes for.
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 21:59:32 +0300

On Fri, Jun 02, 2023 at 11:03:42PM +0100, Christopher Baines wrote:

> guix-commits@gnu.org writes:
>
> > efraim pushed a commit to branch master
> > in repository guix.
> >
> > commit 076688fa1e41a09f034a80e1a593bac43f1f1482
> > Author: Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il>
> > AuthorDate: Thu Jun 1 11:06:00 2023 +0300
> >
> >     gnu: openblas: Update architectures we provide substitutes for.
> >
> >     * gnu/packages/maths.scm (openblas)[arguments]: Adjust the
> > substitutable?
> >     flag to only not provide substitutes when building for powerpc-linux.
> >     Adjust the comment accordingly.
> > ---
> >  gnu/packages/maths.scm | 11 ++---------
> >  1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-)
>
> I've been looking at why armhf-linux substitute availability has been
> dropping recently, and I think this change triggered a lot of
> rebuilds. Could this have gone to core-updates?
>
> → guix refresh -l openblas
> Building the following 2282 packages would ensure 5596 dependent packages are
> rebuilt: ...

It's not that it's triggered rebuilds, but that it's triggered builds.
It's also triggered builds on powerpc64le and riscv64. Before any
package which had openblas as a transitive dependency wasn't built by
the CI because it wasn't substitutable¹. People still have the option of
using package transformations to use openblas tuned for the cortex a7 or
a15 on armhf, but in reality this just unlocks substitutes for those
~5600 packages which wasn't available before.

¹ We saw this in the past briefly in the past when openzfs made its way
as a dependency to qemu and through that to Gnome.

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא