guix-devel

guidelines for package names (namespaces?)

From: Andy Tai
Subject: guidelines for package names (namespaces?)
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 13:55:20 -0700

Hi, in Guix there seems no guidelines for package  names/namespaces
although there are conventions like Python packages prefixed with
python-...  (good).  However, this does not cover cases like Gnome
applications. For example, I submitted the original definition for
(the GNOME terminal package) terminator, and later I tried to rename
that gnome-terminator but that was rejected by reviewers.

Or GNU Guix maintainers may want to consider some type of name space
support in the package name space because I think name collisions will
be more and more likely as more packages are submitted for inclusion
in Guix.