guix-devel

Re: Relaxing the restrictions for store item names

From: (
Subject: Re: Relaxing the restrictions for store item names
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 07:56:02 +0100

Eidvilas Markevičius <markeviciuseidvilas@gmail.com> writes:
> with a name that contains non-Latin characters in it (e.g.,
> "Naršytuvas" by Raštija [2]).

I think we should stick to ASCII characters in package names, since it's
a bit difficult to type `guix install naršytuvas` for those who don't
have keyboards with the 'š' character.  You can do it in emacs with
insert-char or Evil digraphs, but not everyone uses the terminal in
emacs :)

(In fact, controversial studies show that some people may not even use
Emacs at all. This observation may well overturn the entirety of known
physics if proven.)

  -- (