guix-devel

Re: [workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: [workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 19:50:08 -0400

Hi Vagrant,

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> writes:

[...]

>> Did you see my message about integrating a commit-hook similar to what
>> Gerrit uses?  It produces unique ID such as:

>> Change-Id: I9b86781869d80eda347659f0c009b8dfe09bdfd0
>>
>> at the bottom (it's a git trailer) of a commit message.  Being unique,
>> these could be used to match if a patch on the tracker has been merged
>> in the master branch.
>>
>> Attached is what the hook looks like.  The random 'Change-Id' is
>> generated via

>> random=$({ git var GIT_COMMITTER_IDENT ; echo "$refhash" ; cat "$1"; } |
>>   git hash-object --stdin)
>
> That seems like it would only work if the patch was identical, as
> opposed to a slightly rebased patch on top of newer patches on master?
>
> How can you correlate Change-Id to a patch in the tracker?

The Change-Id stays the same unless you manually edit it out of your
commit message when amending / rebasing, so the commit hash may change
while the Change-Id stays the same.  So you can rebase your feature
branch on master and share a v2, whose existing commits will have the
same Change-Ids (newly added commits would get their own Change-Id
trailer).

> Would it break git commit signatures?

It doesn't impact git commit signatures.

--
Thanks,
Maxim