guix-devel

Re: [workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: [workflow] Automatically close bug report when a patch is committed
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 11:49:47 -0400

Hi,

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> writes:

>>> That seems like it would only work if the patch was identical, as
>>> opposed to a slightly rebased patch on top of newer patches on master?
>>>
>>> How can you correlate Change-Id to a patch in the tracker?
>>
>> The Change-Id stays the same unless you manually edit it out of your
>> commit message when amending / rebasing, so the commit hash may change
>> while the Change-Id stays the same.  So you can rebase your feature
>> branch on master and share a v2, whose existing commits will have the
>> same Change-Ids (newly added commits would get their own Change-Id
>> trailer).
>
> Ok, that makes some sense.
>
> Although the majority of bugs in the cleanup work I did were actually
> filed by someone else entirely... so the Change-Id will not help with
> those. Not a reason not to implement it, but not consistent with some of
> the triggers of this thread. :)

I doubt the Change-Id idea would help much closing *bugs* on the
bug-guix tracker, but I'd expect it to be useful to close already merged
(but forgotten on the guix-patches tracker) *patches*.

The Change-Ids would be added automatically without the user having to
install anything, so from the time it's deployed we'd have a means to
identify which patch series were all merged.

--
Thanks,
Maxim