guix-devel

Re: Can we provide another UI for patches than just email ?

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: Can we provide another UI for patches than just email ?
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 13:10:10 +0200

Hi Liliana,

On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 at 00:19, Liliana Marie Prikler <liliana.prikler@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, dem 14.09.2023 um 19:48 +0200 schrieb Simon Tournier:

>> a.  … send an Email to guix-patches@gnu.org             #only once
>> b.  $ git config sendemail.to 12345@debbugs.gnu.org     #only once
>> c.  $ git send-email --base=auto -v <N> origin
>>
>> and the order is flipped:
>>
>>         a == 3   #only once
>>         b == 1   #only once
>>         c == 2
>
> I mean, the real benefit of git send-email is that these three steps
> compress into a single one if you have a series that consists of a
> single patch.  In fact, mumi send-email already implements this
> workflow in a somewhat clunky way that works, but it requires the use
> of yet another tool that isn't well known outside of Guix (at least
> with git send-email you can point at how kernel devs do stuff).

I agree.  My explanations was trying to make clear, side by side, the
difference and similitude between the two main ways people are
exchanging code.  For sure, the PR model would be “inefficient” for the
“one single patch contribution” case.  If one would speak on the
concrete, one should do some stats about the number of patches per
contribution. ;-)

> Maybe we should actually fix that debbugs bug

IMHO, the issue is that Debbugs is out of the Guix project control but
run and administered by GNU folks (maintaining Savannah etc.).  Even, I
am not sure the exact version of Debbugs which is currently running is
publicly known; the current Debbugs version of the GNU instance diverged
from the Debian versions.

Last, I agree with the rest of your message. :-)

Cheers,
simon