guix-devel

Integration with QubesOS & FSDG

From: Skyler
Subject: Integration with QubesOS & FSDG
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 23:41:11 +0000

Hello,

Would you be able to accept pull requests which add packages to integrate Guix with QubesOS as a guest? I ask because QubesOS does not (and does not intend to) comply with the Free System Distribution Guidelines, the primary problem being that their dom0 includes binary blobs. Guix maintains the FSDG standard, which is a good thing. But part of the FSDG says that the distribution cannot "steer users towards obtaining any nonfree information for practical use, or encourage them to do so". I could see a reasonable argument that providing compatibility with a non-free system steers users in that direction, but it seems like a grey area.

Projecting further into the future, I would expect that packaging all of QubesOS infrastructure in Guix, so that Guix could run as dom0 with Guix guests, would be fine, because then users would not need to install any non-free software in order to use these features (the code developed specifically for QubesOS is free software, mostly GPL2+ from what I've seen).

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Skyler