guix-devel

mesa-updates: call for patches

From: John Kehayias
Subject: mesa-updates: call for patches
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 03:14:26 +0000

Hi Guix-ers,

Time for another round of Mesa and friends updates! I've been waiting for
another Mesa release but seems the 23.2 series has stalled out and now is a
good time before 23.3 or 24. I've been using 23.2.1 for some packages locally
without issue. I would like to get this branch built and then promptly merged,
assuming no showstoppers. Actually, probably just cherry-pick since it is
should just be a few commits and I find that cleaner, personally (but happy for
advice here).

There's already a CI build job and I'll submit the request to merge for
hopefully QA to compare. I will also do some ungrafting. Maxim, I'm CC'ing you
since you mentioned the core-updates cycle about to happen, so if this branch
takes some time maybe we'll be better off just combining. Let me know.
Otherwise I hope to have the branch building in a few days and then let it
churn.

Here is a list of what has been on my radar and I'll be looking to apply on the
mesa-updates branch. If there's something I missed and you think makes sense
here (e.g. lower level graphical/X related libraries) please let me know. And
yes, I need to make a Mesa team. It is on my list!

1. ungraft libx11 and libxpm

2. update mesa (23.2.1)

3. <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/65375> (libepoxy fix for GTK, see
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64981>)

4. <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/65155> (mesa vulkan search-paths)

5. <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/65153> (sdl2 vulkan-loader; and update sdl2?)

6. <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64637> (libdrm update; to even newer version
now)

7. <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/66727> (libxkbcommon update)

8. <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64639> (pixman update)

9. submit patch for mesa team

Thanks everyone! And when you see the updates pushed on mesa-updates and builds
become available, please do test and let me know. Or if you'd like to join this
team of one, happy to have you on board.

John