guix-devel

Re: Golang mudules to follow common grouping

From: Christina O'Donnell
Subject: Re: Golang mudules to follow common grouping
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 00:19:24 +0000

Hi again Oleg,

> > I think you may help! The identification of the group is still human
> > decision making process and I'm not sure it may be automated in any point.
>
> I can certainly help with this then. I'll have some free time on Friday and
> I can coordinate with you then.
Ah, I lost track of time..

Okay, so I wrote a grotesque shell script that extracted the name, synopsis,
and description from each package. Then I manually chunked the output into a
transformer, asking it to:

  "Given a list of packages and descriptions, please[1] suggest ways of
   categorizing them (by function or theme) in a way that keeps each category
   about equal size."

...followed by 5 paragraphs of minutia to make sure it does the right thing.

Then I give it 200 lines of packages ~36 packages. It gives me its output
which is inevitably missing one or more of the constraints I gave it, so I
say "Did you follow my instructions?" [2] After this, it either gives me an
output with one less thing wrong with it and an apology, or goes off in a
huff and wastes all my GPU credit.

Things that are standing out so far are:

 - golang-web.scm could become a broader golang-networking.scm
 - golang-crypto.scm could become a broader golang-security.scm
 - There could be a need for a golang-text.scm that focusses on text parsing and
   processing.
 - A golang-utils could exist, however this could easily become the 'other'
   file.

Anyway, point is: I've got a very poor classification of packages in
golang.scm. I want to refine that using a langchain script. However, before
I move anymore forward with this, I wanted to ask: Is it okay to use AI
tools that are non-free in the aid of the GNU project?

> > We may extend handy script accelerating committing process, see
> > "etc/committer.scm"
>
> Okay, cool, I'll have a look at it on Friday.

Great, I haven't had a chance to look at this yet, but I will early next week.

Here's a link to my repo: https://github.com/cdo256/guix-package-refactor

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards,
 - Christina

[1] I am always polite to AI.
[2] Welcome to modern programming, people. Feels more like primary school
children.