guix-devel

Hurd download image is too small; Was: Re: Guix Hurd at… Guix@Paris! [Wa

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Hurd download image is too small; Was: Re: Guix Hurd at… Guix@Paris! [Was: GNU Hurd at Guix days]
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 12:16:16 +0000

On Fri, Feb 09, 2024 at 08:27:49AM +0100, Tanguy LE CARROUR wrote:
> May 2024 be the year of the Hurd! 🤞

It looks like it with LLVM on Hurd coming! I predict the Guix, Hurd
`Mes' next as a hackable system. Add SMP and RISC-V and the fun really
starts. What a time to be alive :)

BTW the Hurd download image on the Guix website has a really small
partition. Even installing a simple package runs out of disk space. Is
there a reason for that, or could we default to something bigger (say
20Gb)? The actual gcow2 download size will not be larger.

I tried expanding the ext2 partition from Linux and, while it worked,
it gave interesting ext2 errors and crashed the fs. I guess the
non-Hurd resize commands introduces some incompatibility. I know I can
build an image with Guix, but it is not ideal if people can not just
use the download image to try stuff. What is the point of making a
download available ;)

Any trick I am missing?

Pj.