guix-devel

Re: Guix Days: Patch flow discussion

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: Guix Days: Patch flow discussion
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 10:31:22 +0100

Hi Felix,

Felix Lechner <felix.lechner@lease-up.com> writes:

> Hi Josselin,
>
> On Mon, Feb 12 2024, Josselin Poiret wrote:
>
>> 1) Doesn't modify any incoming mail;
>
> What if, in addition, Debbugs were to publish bug reports and their
> comments via public-inbox?

Why “in addition” though?  As long as Debbugs is modifying mails on the
MLs it's being troublesome.

>> 2) Provides a way to look-up the bugs related to a thread and their
>> status, preferably using Message-ID
>
> What if those bug reports were available for your consumption via IMAP
> folders or NNTP news groups whose idenfier is the initial Message-Id?

That might introduce too much complexity: what we probably want is just
a bug tracker that maps bug IDs to Message-IDs, then consumers just use
whatever tool they'd prefer, be it browsing a public-inbox instance
through a browser, their local mail, etc.  Debbugs could include a
public-inbox instance, or just interact with one (preferred so that
efforts are not duplicated).  Just having the header part of
e.g. bugzilla would be nice, maybe with a log of mails that caused a
state change, and a list of relevant threads (there could be multiple,
for example if there are multiple versions of a patchset, or for the bug
report and the ensuing fix).

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret