guix-devel

Re: Feedback of the GNU Guix manual

From: Matt
Subject: Re: Feedback of the GNU Guix manual
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 19:27:05 +0100

 ---- On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 14:55:46 +0100  Josselin Poiret  wrote ---

 > Matt matt@excalamus.com> writes:
 >
 > > Specific mention of installing Guix's dependencies was removed.  Guix
 > > being installed implies that its dependencies are also installed.
 >
 > I don't agree here: it's often the case in Linux-land that binary
 > archives are provided without their dependencies included, assuming that
 > the user already has them, often by installing them via their own
 > package manager.  Keeping the mention that it is self-contained and that
 > the dependencies are also included might clarify the situation for some
 > users.

Thank you for the feedback.

I opted for only "self-contained" which seems to imply that dependencies are
available, in addition to other things, perhaps like setting an environment or
pathing.  If "self-contained" is distinct from "includes dependencies," we
could append something like "...and includes all dependencies" to the last
sentence.

I also tried to distinguish that it's the installation *process* which requires
GNU-tar and Xz and not the final installation, since that's self-contained.

Otherwise, I tried to simplify the language:

- archived binaries -> a binary archive
- are often quicker -> often go faster
- which is described in the next sections -> described later

This version has fewer words and one more sentence.  However, each sentence has
a single, hopefully clear, point:

1. What this section is about? Installing from a binary archive.
2. Why you might want this section? It's faster than building.
3. What's needed?  A Linux or Hurd-system with GNU-tar and Xz.
4. What do you get?  A self-contained Guix installation.

Original: Region has 5 lines, 3 sentences, 51 words, and 301 characters
v2:       Region has 5 lines, 4 sentences, 45 words, and 292 characters

If this is good, I can write up a commit message and format the change as a
patch.