guix-devel

Re: Contribute or create a channel?

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: Contribute or create a channel?
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 15:19:12 +0100

Am 04.03.24 um 09:32 schrieb Andreas Enge:
I think that would be okay if you think it will be easier to maintain
(not needing to "roll over" code from an old package at the inheritance
root when it is deleted), assuming that the old packages are removed
from time to time.

This sounds like maintaining multiple LTS versions is desired. Anyhow Ricardo wrote:

I think it would be preferable to have one LTS version in Guix.

Thus the discussion about maintaining several versions is only relevant if this is what Guix wants.

In both cases I need some tooling to fetch the current bug-fix version of the series in question. This can not be done using "guix refresh" only AFAIU, as this would use the next release-series if this is already released while our packages are not yet updated. Thus maintaining two LTS versions should not be too much work (except if many dependencies change incompatible).

WDYT?

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel