guix-devel

Re: Status of ‘core-updates’

From: Steve George
Subject: Re: Status of ‘core-updates’
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:18:12 +0100

On 10 Apr, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz> skribis:
>
> > Disclaimer: I've been quite busy with work recently and haven't been
> > able to work on core-updates that much (having to build the world
> > locally doesn't help).
>
> No problem.  We should find someone willing to pick up the coordination
> work for the coming month or so.  Any volunteer?  :-)
>
> To be clear (but I guess it’s crystal clear to anyone who’s been around
> long enough :-)), what we need most is someone to keep track of changes,
> coordinate efforts, decide what goes in the branch and what’s postponed
> or moved to a separate branch, and send periodic (weekly) status updates
> over the course of a couple of months.  This can (and probably should)
> be done without doing any actual hacking on the branch.
(...)

This sounds like something I can do:

- track changes (in branch)
- co-ordinate blocking issues (in bug system)
- co-ordinate with people doing the actual work :-P
- send (periodic) weekly emails
- encourage shipping by minimising scope creep ;-)

Sounds like there's already agreement to revert the 'pkgconf' change and push a
new branch without them which becomes 'core-updates'. Josselin on IRC I had the
impression you were working on that?

Thanks,