guix-devel

Re: Fix grammar and markup (was Re: Feedback of the GNU Guix manual)

From: Matt
Subject: Re: Fix grammar and markup (was Re: Feedback of the GNU Guix manual)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 20:39:17 +0200

 ---- On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 14:58:50 +0200  pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)  wrote ---

 > Do you agree that I should commit your docs correction with @pxref?
 > I believe it is an improvement over current “see @ref”, even though it
 > looks different in the info reader.

Yes, I agree and thank you for double checking.  Sorry for not answering you
more clearly before!  @pxref is the correct command to use within parentheses.

 > I believe the Emacs errors are historical; looking at Emacs 29.3 as
 > packaged in Guix, Emacs-Info displays xref properly as See.  Display
 > errors had existed, but in the past only.

I reported it to emacs-devel (it's addressed now) and the issue isn't
technically @xrefs; it's the compilation of @xref and @ref, '*Note' and '*note'
respectively.  Emacs looks at the context around these and renders them as
'See' or 'see' according to what's nearby.  The trouble is that the Texinfo
documentation intends to show '*Note' and '*note' literally which is an
exception to the Emacs logic.

I looked it up and the related Emacs code had been there for like 18 years...I
have a knack for finding these kinds of dumb things.  I can't decide if it's a
superpower or a super-curse. :)

 > Again thank you for tediously working through deficiencies in Guix’ docs.

Like Richard Hamming asks, "If what you're working on is not important and it's
not likely to lead to important things, why are you working on it?"  I think
Guix is important!  Thanks for sticking with me :)