guix-devel

No public interface for shepherd-package (Was: Shepherd service logging)

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: No public interface for shepherd-package (Was: Shepherd service logging)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 02:43:04 -0700

Hi Attila,

On Tue, Dec 05 2023, Attila Lendvai wrote:

> AFAIU that will lead to quite some local recompiling that are not necessary.
> you can just set the shepherd package of the shepherd-root-service-type to a
> custom package.
>
> e.g. this will use the latest shepherd from the shepherd channel:
>
> (operating-system
>   (essential-services
>    (modify-services (operating-system-default-essential-services
>                      this-operating-system)
>      (shepherd-root-service-type
>       config =>
>       (shepherd-configuration
>        (inherit config)
>        (shepherd (@ (shepherd-package) shepherd)))))))

I have been using that code to get access to the timers in the
Shepherd's development branch.  Unfortunately, one of my servers can no
longer be reconfigured via 'deploy' or 'system reconfigure'.

Following podiki's and jab's kind advice on IRC yesterday, I recompiled
Guix locally.  I also provided all channels locally via -L.

That 'system reconfigure' failed too, however.  The error message was:

    Module named (shepherd-package) has no public interface.

Is your way of using the latest Shepherd version still recommended, or
should I be doing that differently now?  Thanks!

Kind regards
Felix