guix-devel

Re: Setting up gmail for git send-email

From: Philip McGrath
Subject: Re: Setting up gmail for git send-email
Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 04:25:35 -0400

On 5/29/24 23:21, Imran Iqbal wrote:
I am unsure if my reply on debuggs was sent, i am yet to get a email address
that supports git send-email,

Also if anyone sees this and has an invite to riseup email service ( should
the service be capable of handling another stranger) then please may i have
a invite?, google sux

I know that this is not the main point of your email (hence changing the
subject), but I would like to chime in on how I get my gmail to work git
send-email. The easiest way is to just have it use another program. In
my case I use msmtp.

Along those lines, when this email address used to be hosted on Gmail infrastructure, I used sendgmail, which is specifically designed for git send-email and implemented using the Gmail API.

I packaged it for Guix at the time: https://packages.guix.gnu.org/packages/sendgmail/

There are instructions for obtaining the necessary API key at <https://github.com/google/gmail-oauth2-tools/tree/master/go/sendgmail>, and I saw just now that there were some commits several years of inactivity! (During that time, I changed hosting for this email address, so I haven't used sendgmail lately.) One commit obsoletes our "sendgmail-remove-domain-restriction.patch", and it looks like others may be necessary to satisfy new authentication requirements imposed by Google.

Philip